What Is the Naturalization Process in the US?
Are you interested in becoming a citizen of the United States? If so, you need to start working on becoming a naturalized US citizen.
Just so you know, the process of naturalization can be confusing and time-consuming. To make matters easier, the Law Offices of Gregory P. Turner provides an immigration attorney Massachusetts so you can take one step closer to US citizenship.
What Is the Naturalization Process?
The naturalization process is the one foreign nationals must undergo if they wish to become US citizens. It’s important to understand that naturalization is essentially the last barrier you need to overcome. You have to navigate numerous hurdles before you even get to the point where you can worry about naturalization.
The process itself takes around 15 months to finish. However, the processing time for your application will change based on where you currently reside.
Reaching the point where you can be a naturalized citizen is already a significant challenge. You must meet certain requirements before your application for naturalization can be considered. The requirements for naturalization include:
- Being at least 18 years old at the time of application
- Maintain lawful permanent residence in the United States for at least three years if you are a spouse of a US citizen or five years otherwise
- Maintain continuous residence in the United States
- Show good moral character
- Exhibit knowledge of the United States history and government
- Demonstrate loyalty to the United States Constitution
- Ability to read, speak, and write using basic English
- Willingness to take the Oath of Allegiance
How Our Immigration Attorneys Can Help
You should consider hiring an immigration attorney Massachusetts because they can make the naturalization process significantly easier.
They can tell you what documents you will need, where to file them, and when. If you still need to acquire certain documents, your attorney can assist with that as well. The assistance provided by an attorney is especially valuable if you are considering family-based immigration.
Reach out to the Law Offices of Gregory P. Turner if you need a skilled immigration attorney. Allow us to guide you through this process so you can become a citizen of the United States as soon as possible.