Reentry Permits


Reentry Permits

us immigration application and consular visa interviewIf you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States and are planning to travel outside the country, you should consider a reentry permit application. This can help you avoid potential complications when re-entering the United States.

Common Reentry Permit Questions:

What is it?

A reentry permit is a document for travel issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), valid for 2 years.  It may also be accepted as your main travel document in place of a passport; check with the country you are traveling to prior to your trip. If you need help applying for a reentry permit, the Law Offices of Gregory Turner can help.

Who can apply for it?

If you are out of the United States for one year or more, your permanent resident card becomes invalid for re-entry. Plus, if you establish residency in another country, even if it is less than a year, your permanent residency in the United States may be considered abandoned. A re-entry permit may help you steer clear of those problems and avoid having to appear before an immigration judge.

How to apply for a reentry permit?

At least 60 days before your trip, file Form I-131 from USCIS while you are physically present in the United States. Then submit your fingerprints and photo. If you leave the country before receiving your reentry permit, request the USCIS to send it to an overseas facility, such as a U.S. Embassy.

Do you need an immigration attorney Boston MA for assistance in filing your form? The Law Offices of Gregory Turner can help. Gregory can guide you through the process to ensure your form is filled out accurately to avoid denial. Also, if your I-131 form has been rejected, he can help with your appeals process. Contact the Law Offices of Gregory Turner today!