How do I get Green Cards for my Parents?


How do I get Green Cards for my Parents?

green cardIf you’re thinking about helping a parent obtain a Green Card, you might have questions about where to get started. We at the Law Offices of Gregory P. Turner have helped hundreds of clients through the process, so we decided to put together answers to a few of the most common questions that we hear. Read on for more information about getting a Green Card for a parent.

Are they eligible?

In general, a foreign-born parent of a U.S. citizen is eligible for a Green Card, with a few exceptions. Your parent cannot have received public benefits in the past or appear likely to require them in the future. An immigration attorney in Waltham MA can help you determine your parent’s eligibility.

What is needed?

You’ll need to provide a birth or adoption certificate along with various types of financial documentation.

What forms are required?

You’ll need to file Form I-130 with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to initiate the process. Each application costs $420. You’ll also need to file a Form 1-864 — affidavit of financial support. If your parent currently lives outside of the U.S., they’ll also need to submit Form DS-261. A Waltham MA immigration attorney can provide assistance if you have any questions.

How long does the process take?

It usually takes anywhere from seven to 15 months to get a Green Card approved for a parent.

What can they do while they wait for approval?

If your parent currently lives in the U.S. and filed a form Form I-765, they should be able to work while waiting for a decision. A Waltham MA Green Card attorney like Gregory P. Turner can help you file the proper paperwork.

How an Immigration Attorney can help

Obtaining a Green Card can be frustrating, time-consuming and complicated. Working with an immigration attorney can speed the process and ensure that you don’t end up overlooking critical steps.