How long does my Student Visa last?


How long does my Student Visa last?

students visa Every year, the United States issues about 300,000 visas — called the F1 visa — to students who want to continue their training and education in our colleges and universities.

If you are interested in obtaining one of these visas, here are some of the most frequently asked questions our team at Law Offices of Gregory P. Turner receives.

Who is eligible for the F1 visa?

The F1 visa is an academic visa. To obtain an F1 visa, you must be enrolled as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary or conservatory. You must be enrolled in a program or course of study that culminates in a degree and your school must be authorized by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to accept international students.

What is the difference between the F1 and M1 visa?

The F1 visa is for non-immigrant students who are enrolled in academic and language training courses. The M1 visa, on the other hand, is meat for students who are interested in nonacademic or vocational courses.

Can my spouse or family come with me if I obtain an F1 visa?

Your family members can apply for the F2 visa, which is meant to be used by the dependents of F1 visa holders, including spouses and minor, unmarried children.

How long does my student visa last?

When you enter with an F1 visa, you may remain in the United States as long as you are enrolled in the school to complete your academic program. After the program ends you will have 60 days to depart the country.

How can I extend my visa after graduation?

If you would like to extend your visa after graduation, you have a few options, including the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program available for undergraduate and graduate students on the F1 visa. You can also apply for the H-1B visa, which allows graduate students to live and work in the United States for up to six years if you are working in a role that you are uniquely qualified for. Finally, you can obtain a green card. For more information, contact a Waltham MA Visa Attorney for help with your unique situation.

Can I work with an F1 visa?

There are strict parameters around working with an F1 visa. You are generally permitted to work on the campus of the university at which you study for up to 20 hours a week. There are also training programs that F1 students can get permission to work under.

Immigration Attorney in Waltham MA

If you are interested in obtaining an F1 visa or are currently an F1 visa student who would like to extend your stay in the country, contact our offices today. The Waltham MA Student Visa Attorney at the Law Offices of Gregory P. Turner can help you navigate the complicated visa system.