Should I Obtain a Green Card?


Should I Obtain a Green Card?

green card in united statesIt may have always been your dream to live in the United States of America. There are ways of making it come true. A green card gives non-U.S. citizens the right to live in the United States indefinitely. Obtaining this documentation will give you the freedom to live and lawfully work anywhere in the country. You will also become eligible for U.S. citizenship after three to five years. If you have a spouse who still lives in your country of birth, you may be able to get a marriage-based green card for them. 

If you are ready to make this move, you should speak to a Cape Cod immigration attorney. A Cape Cod immigration attorney is the only professional with the knowledge and insight to help you meet your goal. 

It is also possible to get family-based green cards for close relatives. Eligible family members include spouse, children, parents, and siblings. Widows and widowers who were married to an American citizen are also eligible for a green card. If you are in this category, you must prove that your marriage was authentic in order to receive your card. 

Extended family members such as cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents who wish to live and work in the United States if they have a closer relative with a green card. In other words, they are not eligible for a family-based green card based on your immigration status, but they may qualify if they are of closer relation with another green card holder. 

You may also be eligible for a green card through your employer. Depending on the kind of work you do, it may be better to apply through your work. 

If you plan to live and work in the United States indefinitely, then you should apply for a green card. It is not as daunting as it seems, and an immigration attorney Cape Cod can help you. You should speak to an immigration attorney in Cape Cod MA at the Law Offices of Gregory P. Turner.